I love a good homemade corn bread.
Crispy crust. Flaky, crumbly, savoury center. And a touch of heat and flavour from fresh jalapenos (although you can omit the jalapenos if you prefer).
This recipe is 100% plant-based, whole-food, and addictively delicious!
Makes enough to fill a 12-inch cast iron pan
- 2 cups flour (any type of flour, I like a blend of brown rice and spelt or millet flours)
- 1 cup cornmeal * (see note below)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar (can substitute maple syrup or agave or omit)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 2-3 fresh jalapenos, finely diced and seeds removed
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1½ cups creamed corn ** (see recipe below – can substitute 1 can creamed corn but it’s hard to find clean, organic versions)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
1. Preheat your oven to 375F and grease your cast iron pan with coconut oil. Place it in the oven to heat up as you make the batter.
2. In a large glass bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar (if you choose to use a liquid sweetener, add this in Step 3 instead), salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
3. In another large glass bowl, whisk together the jalapenos, coconut milk, creamed corn, and coconut oil.
4. In two or three batches, add the dry mixture into the wet, using a silicon spatula or wooden spoon to fold the wet and dry together.
5. Remove the hot cast iron pan from the oven, pour in the batter, and bake at 375F for 10 minutes.
6. Reduce the oven to 350F and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes depending on how browned you like your corn bread crust.
7. Remove from oven and let cool for 20-30 minutes. Serve hot, room temperature, or cold.
* Please ensure you use organic corn meal. When it comes to whole-foods eating, we want to focus on organic food anyhow to reduce the pesticides and chemicals that enter our bodies, but corn is one ingredient I will not consume if it is not organic. Wheat, soy, sugar, and corn are all heavily genetically modified foods, so if it’s not organic, it most likely is GMO.
Homemade Creamed Corn:
- 1 cup organic corn
- ½ cup plant-based milk, unsweetened
- ¼ maple syrup
- pinch of salt
In a small stainless steel pot, combine the corn, milk, maple syrup, and salt and bring to a boil, stirring often.
Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes until thick and creamy.
Remove from heat and let cool on counter or in the fridge before adding to corn bread recipe.